Kyoto morning, day one

Well, I did not quite manage to defeat jet lag, despite a decent plan (sleep a little on the plane, stay up as late as I can to get myself on a good sleep schedule).

I woke up at about 2:30 at first, though I managed to go back to sleep until about 4. At that point I gave up and watched some YouTube until I got sleepy again around 5, and managed to doze for another hour and a half. But at 6:30 I decided to just get up and enjoy an early walk.
(I look ticked off but I'm just squinting from the light)

It was quite nice, although it was already 75 degrees out. I walked on a river path, and then down a smaller river path, just wandering randomly and occasionally buying iced coffee from the vending machines that are, no kidding, everywhere. The rumors are not exaggerated.

I finally got to a huge Shinto shrine that is apparently a big attraction, though fairly empty at that time of day.

 It was too early to see the gardens, but the shrine itself was pretty neat and I bought an overpriced tchotchke amulet souvenir.
Now it's 10:30 and I'm starting to feel the lack of sleep. Sadly I had to check out of the coffin hotel and can't check in the other hotel yet, so I am currently in a coffee shop drinking an "orange milk iced coffee" which is rather unique and tasty - the orange flavor includes the peel flavor so there's an interesting bitterness to it.
Hopefully it will keep me going until this afternoon when I get to dress up in a kimono and go to a tea ceremony with a geisha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The beginning

In San Francisco

Hiccups